Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troting

Me personally, i check my float just enough to keep the top pointed ever so slightly upstream just to make sure my bait is presented first.I believe you should keep it natural.However I have watched guys fishing around me with bigger floats and more weight checking their floats quite a bit. So it is personsl preference I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by adyak View Post
    Me personally, i check my float just enough to keep the top pointed ever so slightly upstream just to make sure my bait is presented first.I believe you should keep it natural.However I have watched guys fishing around me with bigger floats and more weight checking their floats quite a bit. So it is personsl preference I guess.
    I don't fish what I call a lot of "trott-able" water. I find it to be more effective in faster runswhen I do though; I guess I need someone to show me its merits in a long, slow, deep pool free of obstruction. But I'll admit that I'm no expert on the method. Neutral bouyancy and neutral speed always seem to produce better outcomes for me on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by J-K View Post
    This is something you have to figure out based on the conditions and flow rate. Everyone has their own ideas on this some guys will hard check the float, another friend of mine never does as he maintains that it should be as naturally flowing in the drift as possible. Just mix it up
    I agree with JK. I think the marketing and media on pinning does a great job of selling this idea that steelhead, salmon, browns, whatever only hit a drift that's presented "perfectly" in a run or pool. My reality is that fish have hit at times when I feel like I've lost almost all control of what my rig is doing under the water! LOL! If something doesn't work, mix it up - add weight, check your reel through the drift, twitch your bait, raise or drop your offering, on and on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by St.Croix.Boy View Post
    I don't fish what I call a lot of "trott-able" water. I find it to be more effective in faster runswhen I do though; I guess I need someone to show me its merits in a long, slow, deep pool free of obstruction. But I'll admit that I'm no expert on the method. Neutral bouyancy and neutral speed always seem to produce better outcomes for me on the whole.
    In slower water, I don't trot at all. In moderately fast water, I just put a slight pressure on my spool to make my float go just a bit slower than the surface current. I was fishing a fairly deep hole last season where the bottom went from 2' to about 8' PDQ at the head of the hole. At first, I was only catching steelies at the tail end of the hole. I figured that there had to be fish holding closer to the sheer drop at the head so I checked my float hard ( i.e. almost stopped it) at the head to allow my spawn sack and shot line to fall off that little cliff then released the float. I then began to catch fish at the head of the hole too. I know this is different than what most would call trotting but I thought I'd share this experience in case you find a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by adyak View Post
    Im with him ^^. Doesnt mean either of us are right though haha.

In my opinion if your floating a bead or fly I find bottom lower six inches n trot it hard enough to keep it of bottom.spawn or skein I find bottom raise a touch n let her go