Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deep water shot lines - Niagara.

I think 25grams is probably overkill as well, you need a pile of lead to sink that, and when I've fished the Niagara that much weight was not required. The biggest float I use is a 16gram, at the saugeen or Niagara. I think an 11 gram piker would be a good place to start and then maybe move up to a 16 if you find it nessecary. I tried one of those monster thill floats on the Niagara once. Huge pain and I pretty much had to load a a dump truck full of lead on the line to set the float correctly. The only upside was I could nearly cast to the US shoreline!

On a big river like the Niagara I would fish a rig similar to what we do out West. AF5 Aero float (3/8 oz) and stoney river sinker (1/2 oz) with a leader off of it to your beads or bait. Works great to get down in boily or fast moving water.

There is a whole lot of fishing on the Niagara that happens in NYS. I'm surprised that nobody has chatted about the NYS Fishing Regulations, which include the mighty Niagara. One part in particular that relates to this topic : "The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed four feet." I have never personally been checked for this by DEC officers, but have chatted with friends where this subject came up with an officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiv View Post
    There is a whole lot of fishing on the Niagara that happens in NYS. I'm surprised that nobody has chatted about the NYS Fishing Regulations, which include the mighty Niagara. One part in particular that relates to this topic : "The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed four feet." I have never personally been checked for this by DEC officers, but have chatted with friends where this subject came up with an officer.
    Lower Niagara river does not fall under the lake Ontario trib regulations. It is pretty much the same regulations you have on the lake. There is no distance limit between weight and hook that i can find.
    Last edited by albaaboog; 01-08-2017 at 04:00 AM.

Thanks guys. Lots of great tips, and options, and definitely a lot of ways of going about it by the looks of it. I guess i'll have to get out there and see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by albaaboog View Post
    Lower Niagara river does not fall under the lake Ontario trib regulations. It is pretty much the same regulations you have on the lake. There is no distance limit between weight and hook that i can find.
    That is correct. Lower Niagara falls under the lake regulations.

Going deep

I'm new to pinning, but often went deep on a spinning rig with a sliding float and shot line on the big manistee. Some holes are 20'ft and threading the needle between the tangle can be tough. I run a shot line at 15 lb or 12 lb with 20 lb main line and 10-8 lb leader. On 13'6" rod, I'll run a 4 ft shot line with a swivel and 2 to 4ft leader. Balance the shot with the float and the weight of the lure. I use a drennan float stop with a small bead before and after the float.

Get it deep fast, use more shot and larger float. Some of my best fish were December and February deep holing. Sometimes I would retie the leader and shotline after snagging the tangle, but persistence can be the key when going deep.

I never use split shot patterns. I always use egg sinkers and the weight of the sinker will be determined by the flow rate of the river. A few split shots to keep the float vertical and a egg sinker is all I use. So it goes from a fixed float on my 15 lbs mainline to a swivel, mono line with egg sinker, then a bead on that same line to prevent the sinker from destroying your fishing knot, another swivel, then leader line to your bait of choice.

Late to the party but 19g slider with a 1/2 oz. inline sinker and 3-4 ft. of leader sprinkled with a bit of shot to keep vertical.