Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Beads Hookup to Land Ratio (Rods - Line - Hooks)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Roelofsen View Post
    The 14lb is too wiry and doesn't work well with the smaller floats and less weight most guys run Plus it's overkill with a break strentgh well over 20lbs when 6lb leads are the norm.

Josh
    I guess it depends on what side of the country you are fishing. I agree you should match the line weight with the fishery you are fishing. I actually like the line to be a little wiry as I have zero tip wraps and the occasional backlash comes out quickly.

Yesterday tried the 14lb crystal on my pin . Being new it was a bear to cast. Seemed to get a little better after around 30 casts or so. Pulled it off and put the 8lb on same setup really made a difference in casting distance. Got a lot smoother after about 30 casts or so also. Felt real nice considering only in the back yard. Amazing feeling the line telegraph the feel of the plastic casting weight I was using as I reeled it back in. Figured out the FG knot pretty nice and smooth transition. No problem at all Wallis or spinning side cast no line cut or even sharp feel on the casts. Gonna try it out hopefully this week on a small river for some smallies can't wait to try it this winter also Ray

Just back from my second round with the crystal and I must say it went much better. I had the 10lb crystal, used some stren I had lying around in the garage ( label is gone so not sure what lb ), down to 6.6 phantom leader at firsr then went up to 7.6. No problems at all, no break offs on hook set or anything. Starting to like this stuff.

Did you seem to notice if it started to cast easier after a while using it? Line seemed to to loosen up for me guess being wound on the small factory spool compared to my 5 inch Milner. Ray

Bumping this thread back up being it’s been so slow lately and a ton of good info in it. My few recent outings with Fireline crystal have been mixed good and so so. I respooled my islander backup reel with the 8lb crystal fireline and brought my 5” Milner spooled with FF siglon 12 lb which I have used for years since it became available. Really liked the way the crystal felt casting ,wind was pretty gusty last trip and tip wrap became a pain. Surprised on how easy it was to put the hook into the fish with some of the longer drifts went 5 for 5 in the first hole I fished. Only real trouble I had was in slower water the crystal didn’t want to come off the spool easily being wet and raining pretty good that day. Also being pretty windy that day It wanted to wrap on itself. Tried some van dam line conditioner on it helped some ,works fantastic on the FF with ice by the way. Also I run a 10 foot clear maxima shotline using an FG knot which I really like and works well,to a swivel then to flouro. Ended up going over to the Milner and no troubles at all,did lose a few hookups but did well on this trip. I will keep trying the crystal it may need more breaking in of the line possibly. Hope Ohio opens up this week ! Ray
    Last edited by Racinray; 02-11-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added more

Iíve started trying Crystal this season. So far I like it a lot, but unfortunately I havenít put a lot of time yet with the harder winter this year. I have some Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier Crystal too. It is more wirey off the bat, but it is smoother, by a lot! Freeze-up seems to be a little less than regular Crystal, which has been similar to mono in my opinion.

I currently have 8, 10, and 14 of both Crystal and Ultra 8. Iíve been using Stren Original for shotline to swivel to Grand Max fluoro. I do have some KVD conditioner to try out, too. Iím trying to love 14lb to keep everything simple, weíll see how everything breaks-in though. I think it will be fine for medium to large rivers using 10g, or usually heavier float rigs. Iím thinking Iíll be bumping down to 10lb for smaller river fishing in MI and 8lb for OH tribs. Just my initial thoughts on not enough time yet, though.

I think Iím going to keep regular Crystal on my baitcasters and start working the Ultra 8 on the centerpins for now.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhead_stalkers View Post
    After reading all of the comments on the hook set thread I thought I would post some of my personal observations and things I have implemented over the last couple years to get an 80% hookup to land ratio with beads. I am on the West Coast and don't have any pre-conceived notions about what is considered right or wrong with centerpin fishing. I kind of just tried different setups until I found what worked extremely well and what didn't.

I was given a centerpin reel two years ago to test and give feedback about. It was spooled up with a mainline of 15 lb bloodrun tackle mono. Before I got this reel to test I had a reel spooled up with 17 lb nanofil line that I had used for a few years. I put the reel on my 13', 6-10 lb NFC and GLX. What I noticed immediately is that the rod while casting and fighting a fish felt like it was a power lighter and the rod felt like it had no backbone. I fished it for about 6 months. I lost a lot of steelhead during the winter steelhead season and it almost became a joke that if I hooked a fish it would come off after the initial head shake or run. I couldn't believe that it was from running mono mainline so I continued to use it until the summer steelhead run. Overall my hookup to land ratio over the winter was 35%. After the first three summer steelhead trips and losing 20 of the 30 steelhead hooked I decided to strip off the mono and go back to my original setup.

The original setup was 17lb nanofil as a mainline and then 10' to 15' of bloodrun mono as a bumper to give some shock absorption to the setup. I hooked and landed the next 15 steelhead and over the next year my hookup to land ratio climbed to 65%-70%! This got me to thinking about a few things. From all I read guys fishing the great lakes like heavier power rods with a faster action. After fishing with a friends CTS 6-10lb 13' rod with mono mainline I realized that running a heavier power rod with a slightly faster action gave me an almost identical feel as my softer and lighter power 6-10 lb rod using braid as a mainline. When I would set the hook with my lighter power rod with mono mainline I wouldn't feel the rod load up on the fish like I am used to and the rod felt like it had absolutely no backbone. However, when using the CTS I could feel the fish had been loaded up on the hookset. Another thing I realized is my 13' 6-10 lb 2power spooled up with braid felt like it had the same amount of power and backbone in the butt as the heavier 13' CTS with mono mainline. I am convinced one of the reasons guys use heavier rods out East is because they need the extra rod power to help drive the hook in and keep fish hooked with all of the stretch in the mono. From a lot of videos I see online and talking to people who fish the great lakes I see a lot of guys set the hook really hard on the fish. This is probably again because of the stretch in the mono and needing to keep as much pressure on the fish as possible. I don't believe one way or the other is necessarily better than the other but just two different ways to achieve a similar feel while fighting fish. For me personally I would rather fish a lighter power rod that is less tip heavy with braid mainline and a mono bumper than a heavier power rod and mono.

After finding what worked for me to help improve my hookup to land ration with rods and line I started to focus on bead rigging. We used hard beads for about 8 years with good success on the hooking fish but not that great of success on landing the fish. If you talk with almost any bead fisherman itís pretty much guaranteed that they hook a ton of fish but landing them is another story. There are things you can do to help improve the hookup to land ratio with hard beads but its still not a great technique in general for landing a high % of fish. We started using soft beads after seeing underwater video of steelhead spitting hard beads so fast the angler didn't even know they picked them up. I think that is the main issue with hard beads and when you set the hook the fish could be trying to spit and hook placement can be all over the place leading to the hook pulling out. After fishing for two years with soft beads this is the setup that gets my buddies and I 80% or better hookup to land ratio using beads.

1. Soft Beads. Fish hold onto them! A lot of times when we are fishing one guy isn't watching his float and its down for 3 or 4 seconds before he realizes and sets the hook and still gets the fish. In very cold conditions fish spitting hard beads is even worse.

2. Gamakatsu light wire octopus hooks. When using 12mm soft beads we use #2 and with 10mm and 8mm soft beads we use #4. Perfect hook gap for these size of beads and the lighter wire allows for a more natural drift and less snagging the bottom.

3. Braid mainline with a mono bumper. I believe that when guys set the hook really hard and fast it can cause an issue with hook placement as the whipping action created can move the hook point away from where it would initially go in. We lift, similar to a false fly cast until the rod starts to load up then put the wood to them! You can feel the fish load up quickly and the light wire hook is buried easily.

4. Always snell the hook.

5. We use sliding weights when possible so there is no fixed point for fish to use against the hook. Helps with jumping steelhead and big head shakes pulling the hook.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks. Lots of good info. Like to hear more about your bead rigging. Types of beads,is the bead on the hook, if not how is it fixed on the line. Is that a double bead rig in your pic?