Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rpx issues, this is getting old.

Rpx issues, this is getting old.

For the third time now my raven rpx has let me down. First it snapped just above the cork, second the insert on a guide fell out and now one of the stems on a guide has cracked. All of this plus sub par customer service has now completely turned me away from raven. Sorry about the rant but it is getting really anoying.

Sorry to hear that. I've fished a RPX hard for the last three winters with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    For the third time now my raven rpx has let me down. First it snapped just above the cork, second the insert on a guide fell out and now one of the stems on a guide has cracked. All of this plus sub par customer service has now completely turned me away from raven. Sorry about the rant but it is getting really anoying.
    I re-wrapped one this summer that had 3 guides with cracked frames. 2 of the inserts had popped out.

Sucks to hear you've had a bad experience with Raven. My experience as a north of the border customer has been nothing but positive! The few replacement sections I've needed have been easily acquired and even replacement OEM guides are sent out no questions asked. Raven certainly leaves something to be desired with guide spacing and sizing IMO, not to mention aesthetics. However, placing blame for cracked rings and broken guide feet on them is unfair. With few exceptions, popped rings and damaged guide feet are due to misuse. I'm hard on rods myself and guides repairs are a regular occurrence for me, but they are no more common with Raven rods than any others in my experience.

I Believe Raven uses Pacific Bay components, a very reputable company who supply OEM components to a number of manufacturers. Blaming Raven for component failure is unfair. That doesn't give them any excuse to ignore your warranty issues tho. I hope you can resolve the issues your experiencing.

Josh

The first time my guide broke was the first day after receiving the new rod on the first hookset and I take very good care of my equipment to ensure it lasts. I know rods break but it shouldn't happen as often as it has.

Im not purchasing any more raven rods either. I broke it once (my fault), and after realizing between having to pay for the replacement top piece, shipping to and fro to Canada, it wasn't really a warranty to me at all. I could just buy a brand new Clarus for the price of their "Warranty Repair". Not to mention, when I sent the rod in, absolutely NO effort was made in cleaning the rod up. Everywhere else I've sent in product for warranty repair my product was cleaned for me. It's a small complaint, but is a window into a bigger picture.
    For every one fish you release, I keep three.

One of the guides on my RPX cracked as well. They were great about replacing it, but now I have no faith in the rod seeing that this is happening to a number of people.

The only other Raven rod that I've had also snapped in half on me.

Based on these experiences, I will never buy a Raven product again.

On the other hand, the Loomis GL3 1562 that I built 13 years ago has been through hell and back without a single issue.

I blew up the same raven rod twice. I thought the first time was my fault. The second time I just chucked it in the garbage and cut my loss.

I love my North Forks Composite blank.

Which nfc are you running up there?

Thanks folks for all the RPX info, think I'll pass on this rod - at least for full rip price $550 CAD + taxes. If I can pick one up for real cheap, then I'd give it a go.