Thread: NFC build

NFC build

Disclaimer-
    This is no white collar beauty like Wyandot , Adamtrenz , or 10 bob builds , just a blue collar work horse with some flaws that Iím actually kinda proud of.

My first custom handle (4th rod built) re purposed guides, simple 1 color wraps ( they have improved since 1st build , still not perfect). I got the blank last year on sale 1302 delta for 75 bucks. I followed suit to bob and sanded down , with 400-600 wet sand paper. Did not take much at all to get the ridges to disappear. Got the cork for about $ 30. I had everything else I neeeded and made a rod with old sliding rigs from a broken factory rod I had, also stole the guides off another broken rod, and sawed a section of an old 15 ft rod I had and made a power reamer out of it.....
    Lots learned in this build. The handle was very involved and I somehow maggivered and salvaged the handle when it broke while reaming it out. Looking to break this stick in Wednesday , it feels a little bit soft to me and I have an 1134 nfc ( also delta ) on the bench waiting .

D993BAF9-91A6-48DB-A81E-CE01D53026D9.jpg4AC02CEF-63F1-4FE7-907B-53F46393E4DC.jpg53221924-EF39-4C4A-80A8-04B968BF8E75.jpg36CB95FD-0CF0-4424-B8AF-173DEF7B0441.jpg

looks nice

Great looking build there man! I still have a couple of the 1302 here from that sale that I keep letting fall down the queue. I think a lot of it has to do with wanting to sand the ridges myself, but the slight intimidation associated with it. Iíve got a handful of hot builds and repairs to get wrapped up and then might have some time to kill next month to attempt it? I definitely want to pick your brain on technique and see if thereís anything you think I should try different based on what you learned, or if it seemed to go pretty smooth with your technique?

Haha thanks for the white collar compliment (I think it was? Haha!) but man, trust me when I say we all have ďoopsĒ moments! Yep, cracking the handle while reaming, done if probably close to half a dozen times now haha! Speaking of oops moments, I just woke up yesterday to a wildly fisheyed second coat on my butt wrap. Looked like the surface of the moon with a divot every 1/4Ē Definite silicone contamination, from where, who knows? I thought it might have been toast! A good cleaning with alcohol, and another coat and looks just as it should here this morning...Ah and just last week I used thread I didnít realize was not color stable, and didnít use color preserver.... ended up cutting it all off and rewrapping the whole lower half. The stories are endless! So moral of the story, my builds are very much blue collared as well, I have just learned all kinds of ways to polish turds and trick ya into the ďwhite collarĒ finished product haha! Iím sure jay and bob both can chime in with some good ones as well!

But anyway, congrats on the build, as you said some cool learning along the way! The photo isnít too clear but what did you use on the butt area? It almost looks like I see a torched wood piece in there?

Canít wait to see your next build!!!!

Nice looking build JG. As Adam said, everyone has a few problems now and then, as long as you learn along the way that is the best teacher you can ask for.

D

Re-using broken stuff is an art form in itself. The rod's cool, but that bench top was what caught my eye. I have an entire building I constructed out of scrap doors from Camp Grayling, only a true Michigander can appreciate the beauty of such things.

JungleGeorge,

Let us know how the 1302 delta performs! The handle looks good to me! I'd like to see the wraps a bit closer but they look good from here. I too have broken a rear grip while reaming and have since learned to run my cordless drill in reverse when power reaming and maintain a firm grip on the area of cork being reamed. I put a little 15 minute epoxy on the break - a 3/32" accent ring - when I attached the rear grip, reel seat and fore grip - put it into my all-thread/pine handle clamp and you can't see the break. I've also been known to salvage broken rods from log jams and liberate reel seats and guides.
    Adam, like George said, those ridges sand off PDQ with 400 grit wet paper.

Bob

Thanks guys, I like to say that I like to re use stuff as much as i can . RE using is an art form I love . Here are a few shots of the first fish I caught with the rod. I got a lot of bending in the rod today , and overall I will say that I like it. It is light in weight and power , but I was able to lean into the little bit of reserve the rod has and it was nice . For me this will be a winter stick and most likely wonít run higher then 8lb on it....

As far as the sanding of the blank, I cut a square of sandpaper about the size of my palm and laid a couple ft off th work bench. I rolled the blank with my left hand and lightly sanded with my right. I could almost instantly feel them dissaper (400 grit ) . After the whole rod , minus where the handle was going , I lightly went again with 600 . I could still see some of the darker black from where the ridges were but I donít care the rod is smooth to the touch. Took maybe 10 mins.

I admire what you guys build and I have my own way of doing things and in my mind never come out like some of the stuff I see on here . Thanks for the advice , posts , comments . Iíll take some pictures of the wraps closer and ready for constructive criticism .
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did notice that I really had to set the hook hard. Took me some dropped Fish to figure that out .